It all began with a simple phone call.
In 2005, members of the North Dakota Farmers Union (NDFU) began talking about the future. They wanted to bring their products directly to consumers, to take people back to the source of the foods that are grown, raised, and harvested on American family farms. Looking for likeminded restaurant developers with a passion for sustainability, they called upon VSAG’s Michael Vucurevich and Dan Simons, and Founding Farmers was born.
This month marks 10 years. Ten years of the flagship Founding Farmers DC and the growing partnership that has brought this farmer-owned brand to the forefront of the sustainable restaurant model.
From scratch made food & drink and incorporating recycled and refurbished materials into their sustainably-minded designs to saying no to plastic utensils, water bottles, and single-use plastic straws, and composting whenever and whatever possible, Founding Farmers has come a long way.
By the Numbers. Here are some Founding Farmers stats & progress:
- 47,000 NDFU farmer owners.
- First LEED Gold certified, full-service restaurant in the country.
- 7 million guests served to date.
- 340,000+ plastic straws eliminated from the DC trash system in the last year alone.
- 5,919,291 disposable water bottles eliminated from the DC trash system by our team.
- $65,000 donated for honey bee research at The George Washington University to date.
- 77,121 cucumber delight cocktails served by the bar & beverage team.
- 301,379 chicken & waffles entrées have been enjoyed by guests to date.
Here’s to the next 10!